HASLEMERE DECORATIVE AND FINE ARTS SOCIETY

A member society of NADFAS

HDFAS logo

 O  U  T  I  N  G  S

home programme volunteers  down arrow membership gallery  down arrow contact  down arrow
  lectures study days outings

foreign visit

 


DAY TRIPS 2017

Several outings to places of artistic and historic interest are arranged each year. The day-long trips include transport to and from Haslemere and start from Haslemere Hall in Bridge Street.


NOTE RE BOOKINGS

Bookings for Outings take place usually two months in advance at the monthly lectures on the third Tuesday of the month.
Members are asked to turn up to reserve their place and may book and pay for themselves and up to one other member.

PAST OUTINGS IN 2017

THURSDAY 26th JANUARY
18 STAFFORD TERRACE and LEIGHTON HOUSE MUSEUM
Tours of two houses; the Victorian family home of Edward Samford, the Punch cartoonist, and of the studio home of Victorian artist Lord Leighton, displaying his art and sculptures and those of his contemporaries.


Interiors: 18 Stafford Terrace; Narcissus Hall, Leighton House
Interiors left to right: 18 Stafford Terrace; Narcissus Hall, Leighton House.

From 1875, 18 Stafford Terrace was the home of Punch cartoonist Edward Linley Sambourne, his wife Marion, their two children and their live–in servants. The house gives an insight into the personal lives of the Sambourne family, and also provides a rare example of what was known as an ‘Aesthetic interior’ or ‘House Beautiful’ style. The Aesthetic Movement of the late nineteenth century advocated the use of foreign or ‘exotic’ influences in the decoration of the home. This can be seen by the various Japanese, Middle–Eastern and Chinese objects throughout the Sambournes’ home. After the deaths of Linley and Marion Sambourne, the house was preserved by their descendants. In 1980 it was opened to the public by the Victorian Society. This organisation had been inaugurated at 18 Stafford Terrace in 1958 by the Sambourne’s grand–daughter, Anne, 6th Countess of Rosse. In 1989, its ownership passed to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.


Leighton House Museum is the former home of the Victorian artist Frederic, Lord Leighton (1830–1896). The only purpose–built studio–house open to the public in the United Kingdom, it is one of the most remarkable buildings of the nineteenth century, containing a fascinating collection of paintings and sculpture by Leighton and his contemporaries. Built to Leighton’s precise requirements, the house was extended and embellished over the 30 years that he lived in it. From modest beginnings it grew into a ‘private palace of art’ featuring the extraordinary Arab Hall with its golden dome, intricate mosaics and walls lined with beautiful Islamic tiles. Leighton lived alone in his palace, occupying the house’s only bedroom on the first floor.

Booking opened at November 2016 lecture
Ticket price for the two tours: 36


ITINERARY:

08.30hrs: depart Haslemere Hall
10.30hrs approx: Arrive 18 Stafford Terrace
11.00hrs: 1st Group – Tour of 18 Stafford Terrace
11.00hrs: 2nd Group – Tour of Leighton House
12.00hrs approx – lunch (not incl).
14.00hrs: 1st Group – Tour of Leighton House
14.00hrs: 2nd Group – Tour of 18 Stafford Terrace
15.30hrs: Depart London
18.00hrs: Approx. arrive Haslemere Hall


THURSDAY 6th APRIL
GREENWICH MARITIME MUSEUM – EMMA HAMILTON EXHIBITION
Talk by the Curator followed by a tour of the exhibition of Emma Hamilton’s collection of fine art, fashion and porcelain objects.
After lunch there will be a free flow visit to the Queen’s House.


TO SEE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE OUTING, CLICK HERE


Greenwich Maritime Museum with inset detail of portrait of Emma Hamilton as Circe by George Romney
Greenwich Maritime Museum with inset detail of portrait of Emma Hamilton as Circe by George Romney, 1782-85

Greenwich Maritime Museum is the world’s largest maritime museum with 10 free galleries and a vast collection that spans artworks, maps and charts, memorabilia and thousands of other objects. The historic buildings form part of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site and it also incorporates the Royal Observatory and 17th–century Queen’s House. In 2012, Her Majesty The Queen formally approved Royal Museums Greenwich as the new overall title for the National Maritime Museum, Queen’s House, the Royal Observatory, Greenwich and the Cutty Sark.

The Emma Hamilton Exhibition celebrates a woman who was one of the most famous celebrities of her time – her life is the ultimate costume drama. Now largely remembered as the woman who captured the heart of the nation’s hero, Admiral Horatio Nelson, she has been portrayed as both scheming adventuress and faithful lover. What cannot be denied is the role she played in Nelson’s life and the notoriety their love affair caused during his lifetime. This exhibition recovers Emma from myth and misrepresentation, her story being told through approximately 200 objects from public and private lenders around a core from the Museum’s own collections.

If time permits, the visit will include a free flow tour of the Queen’s House which was refurbished in 2001 to become the heart of displays of art from the Museum’s collection.

Booking opens at February lecture
Ticket price: 36

ITINERARY
08.30hrs: Depart Haslemere Hall
10.30hrs approx: Arrive Greenwich
10.45hrs: Coffee and pastries on arrival in Brasserie (incl.)
11.20hrs: Arrive at Lecture Theatre
11.30hrs: Curator talk followed by tour of Exhibition
13.30hrs: Lunch
14.30hrs approx: Visit to the Queen’s House
15.30hrs: Depart Greenwich
18.00hrs: Arrive Haslemere Hall



WEDNESDAY 14th JUNE
BROUGHTON CASTLE, OXFORDSHIRE
Visit to Broughton Castle, the family home of Lord and Lady Saye and Sele, the Fiennes family.


TO SEE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE OUTING, CLICK HERE


Gate House, Broughton Castle
Gate House, Broughton Castle

Broughton Castle is a moated and fortified manor house near Banbury in North Oxfordshire. Set in parkland, the core of the house was built of the rich local Hornton ironstone in 1306. The gatehouse was added in the early fifteenth century, but most of what you see today dates from the 1550’s. It was a centre of opposition to Charles I and was besieged and damaged after the Battle of Edgehill in 1642. It is home to the 21st Lord and Lady Saye and Sele, whose family name is Fiennes. The ownership of the Castle has remained in the same family since 1447.

Booking opens at April lecture

Ticket price: 38

ITINERARY
08.15hrs: Depart Haslemere Hall
10.30 – 11.00hrs: Coffee on arrival (incl.)
11.00hrs: Tour of Broughton Castle
12.30hrs: Sandwich lunch (incl.)
13.30hrs: Free time to visit gardens, grounds and church
15.30hrs: Depart Broughton Castle
18.00hrs: Arrive Haslemere Hall


THURSDAY 9th NOVEMBER
WIMBLEDON LAWN TENNIS CLUB
A guided behind–the–scenes tour of Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club with a Blue Badge Guide and a free flow tour of Wimbledon Tennis Museum. \

 

TO SEE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE OUTING, CLICK HERE


Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club
Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club

The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club was founded in 1868 and is responsible for the world’s leading tennis tournament. Lawn tennis was invented by Major Walter Clopton Wingfield and was introduced at the Club in 1875. Two years later the Club was renamed “The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club” and the first ever Lawn Tennis Championship took place. A new code of laws was drawn up and most of those laws still stand today. The first Ladies’ Championships took place in 1884. Its first ground was off Worple Road, Wimbledon, until the Club moved in 1922 to the present site in Church Road.
After the tour visit the Museum to experience the history and traditions of ‘the Fortnight’, see the Championships Trophies, feel the fabrics of tennis fashions from the Victorian period and learn about how The Championships have developed since 1877.


Booking opens at September lecture

Ticket price: 43 (to include morning coffee and hot lunch)

ITINERARY:

09.15hrs: Depart Haslemere Hall
10.15hrs: Arrive Wimbledon LTC, coffee on arrival (incl)
11.00hrs: Guided backstage tour of Wimbledon with Blue Badge guide
12.30hrs approx: Hot lunch (incl)
14.00 hrs: Free flow tour of Museum
15.30 hrs: Depart Wimbledon LTC
16.30–17.00hrs: Arrive Haslemere
(Please note comfortable shoes recommended)

 

Telephone contact no.: 07587142156